Saturday, May 24, 2008

Recovering from Idol-atry

Goodness! What am I going to do on weeknights now that American Idol is over? The funny thing is, this was the first ever season of AI that I'd watched from start to end, as I thoroughly enjoyed the auditions, most of the final 12 and definitely both Davids.

I'm glad David Cook won as I felt he had the more mature presence and better overall package of musicianship, personality and intelligence (gotta love a guy who loves words!). His rock style was refreshingly innovative and contemporary, even if Archuleta had purer vocals. That said, no doubt both will go on to do very well.

Cook's unique arrangement of Lionel Richie's "Hello" got me hooked:


Here's a few moments I enjoyed in the finale (and that extended Love Guru promo was definitely NOT one of them).

The hillarious spoof of Gladys Knight and Her (New) Pips:


One Republic and Archuleta "Apologize":


Carly Smithson and Michael Johns, who both left way too early, duet on "The Letter" (Wayne Carson Thompson):


Cook reflects on "The World I Know" (Collective Soul):


Archuleta reminds us to "Imagine" (Beatles):


The final results and David Cook's first single as American Idol 2007 - "Time Of my Life" (Regie Hamm):

No comments: