Monday, May 22, 2006

Where the heart is

This time last year in Boston, I was finishing my MBA, gearing up for the first of many wedding events to come, and anticipating the final "honeymoon period" before re-entering the real world. I fondly recall the string of farewell events leading up to Harvard's Commencement: the home-cooked meals, garden BBQs, student meetings, faculty pep talks, and in particular, The Ordination to Daily Work, a 30-year old tradition to pray for and celebrate God's calling among the graduates. Without really searching for it, I had found a home away from home.

Truth be told, I've felt rather homesick since then, an irony now that I'm closer to "home" than I'd ever been in over a decade. It wasn't until a recent trip north to visit my parents and grandparents in Malaysia, that I'd felt known once more (even if they sometimes forget that I'm a married adult now!). Since returning, I've realized that my heart is with the people I love and I'd been lamenting the loss of close community despite the relative ease of settling in Singapore. I know I'll still face the occasional pangs of "aloneness" with our conflicting work and travel schedules, but I am grateful to have a lifelong partner and family with whom I can just be myself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Jeff. Don't be fooled by the tropical paradise label. Since April, we've had an abnormally wet season, the recent Typhoon Chanchu, an erupting volcano (Merapi) and earthquakes in Indonesia - where I'm working on a project till Sept! At least I’m off to Bali for a “work event” this weekend....