Saturday, November 11, 2006

Democracy is alive and kickin'

Since I've blogged about politics in Singapore and Malaysia, I thought I should say something about the recent midterm elections in the US. So I started rambling about voters who exercise their rights to show the world how democracy can work; checks and balances in a bicameral Congress that has both House (population) and Senate (state) representation; accompanied by a tirade about politicians who dither in their indecisiveness, who abuse faith and patriotism to justify their actions, who overpromise and underdeliver, shooting themselves and others in the foot along the way. As Henry Kissinger once said: "Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

But y'know, a song speaks better than a thousand words, certainly any of mine! Hence, I will just say this: "Thank you, US voters, for saving our collective asses" (If it sounds familiar, you're a BSG fan). I'll now leave you with Shut Up and Sing by the Dixie Chicks (trailer below):

And Not Ready To Make Nice, the longest running #1 VHS single in 2006 (lyrics here and music video below):


More here on why the Dixie Chicks have sung their way to my heart.

No comments: