Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas isn't Christmas till it happens in your heart

Have a blessed Christmas everyone! May you celebrate the gift of life - one that is filled with music, laughter, fond memories, good food and drink, and loved ones.

This is the first time hubby and I are celebrating Christmas together in Asia. It's a bitter sweet time given his mom's deteriorating condition and me without my own family, who are all in Texas this time (where it's evidently raining too!). On Christmas Eve, we attended a midnight service at his childhood church, St Andrews Cathedral, together with a few of his old Sunday School brats, I mean mates.


Although I'm not too familiar with the rich Anglican tradition, I was thankful for the opportunity to reflect as the past few months have truly tested my faith, priorities and identity (esp. in terms of success, marriage and family). I also realized that this is the first year I've not served on a worship team since I was 15! (That, for you curious folks, is half a lifetime ago). Time has flown by and though I've missed that unique faith community and ministry, I am reminded that "true worship" is reflected in how we live our lives and through the choices we make. A few days ago, I brought the guitar over to sing to my mom-in-law, who's been bedridden since October. In those moments of sound and stillness, I came to appreciate another depth to worship and a deeper meaning to these words below:

Because He Lives

God sent His son, they called Him, Jesus;
He came to love, heal and forgive;
He lived and died to buy my pardon,
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives!

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow,
Because He lives, all fear is gone;
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living,
Just because He lives!


How sweet to hold a newborn baby,
And feel the pride and joy he gives;
But greater still the calm assurance:
This child can face uncertain days because He Lives!

And then one day, I'll cross the river,
I'll fight life's final war with pain;
And then, as death gives way to vict'ry,
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know He lives!

Words and Music by William J. Gaither © 1971

No comments: