Friday, April 21, 2006

Still alive

Contrary to popular belief, I've not been hauled up on charges of - God forbid - free speech or jumped off the Johore-Singapore Causeway Bridge in despair. I've just been recovering from a cold which snuck up on me after the long Easter weekend, leaving me bedridden and home alone most of the week. As there's no food delivery in Singapore and it rained every day this past week, I'm officially over my "I-love-hawkers-food" honeymoon phase and am never going to set foot in the food court across the street again. Added to that, this was going to be my first real week off, since I'm still on leave from work while the hubby started his new job on Monday. Murphy's Law, eh?

All is not ill though. At least three great things happened:
#3: I caught up on all my accumulated hours (days!) of sleep loss.

#2: I discovered that taxi drivers in Singapore are surprisingly friendly and compassionate, and fares are definitely cheaper than Manhattan. The cabby who brought me home from the Furniture Mall noticed my coughing, and politely recommended a Chinese remedy for my cold. Sadly, I couldn't understand all the details and instructions....

#1: I actually spoke with everyone in my immediate (and very dispersed) family! Via phone with my mom, bro and sis - who are in Kedah, Texas and New York, respectively. In person with my dad who was chaperoning a group of Brunei civil servants on a Singapore government visit as part of their Executive Management Programme.

No comments: