Monday, April 10, 2006

What's a meterosexual?

I was asked this several times today, having recently arrived from New York City, the alleged land of meterosexuals. Sadly, my response was as inept as some of the answers given last night by the Miss Singapore Universe 2006 finalists. Feeling ashamed of my inadequate knowledge of this latest urban social revolution, I've since done my research and humbly present to you "What's a meterosexual?":

The term meterosexual originated in 1994 and typically refers to an urban male who takes pride in his appearance, body and lifestyle. Though this has nothing to do with sexual orientation, meterosexuals are often assumed to be gay as they demonstrate common fashionable feminine traits, e.g. they dress impeccably, love shopping, facials and expensive haircuts. In 2005, the new term übersexual was coined to describe an idealised man with such intellect, passion and professional success as to attain a degree of "greatness and perfection" with "little margin for error and fallacy." Top übermetrosexuals include Brad Pitt, Bono and David Beckham.

Next: Must motivate the hubby about his evolving masculinity....

Primary sources: Wikipedia and the Urban Dictionary.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Fieval. I guess I should defer to the New York Times in this area.... Still, Bono will always remain my ubersexual hero.

synergylyn said...

Well, those metrosexual males I see in Singapore look nothing like David Beckham!

Unknown said...

They're evolving. Give them time (or so we hope).

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. [head turning left and right]. Poor Francis.

Unknown said...

You'd be amazed how he's caught on to the idea this week. Blogging (and peer pressure) does wonders.